Sunday, September 12, 2010

Day of the Dead Skulls

Becky here.
A long story...
For Christmas last year, Hunter presented me with a couple of specially selected gifts--skull-shaped soaps and a mold for making my own chocolate skulls. At school he'd learned about the Day of the Dead and,
 at the Art Center in Des Moines, worked in the art studios on Day of the Dead projects.
He learned that skulls and dying aren't all that bad--that some people celebrate the spirits
 of those who've passed before us.
In the Art Museum Store, he selected my Christmas presents.

I've been using the skull soaps all year...wrapping my fingers
 around the smooth shapes of the skulls while I wash :)
The mold package, with its hot pink paper back, has been lying in wait since last Christmas.
 I brought it home from Florida and, at last, we put it to use!!!


We melted Toll House Nestle Semi-Sweet Morsels in my tiny crockpot and spooned the smooth liquid-y chocolate into the mold. Popped them into the freezer and then, this morning, popped them out of the mold.
Waiting to taste...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope we get to try some. Mom

rjerdee said...

Yes, you'll get to try them--at Blake's party...

Anonymous said...

I tested one of these. Yummy. Amy

Thanksgiving Guests At Our Table